or 6 weekly payments from $175.00 learn more
Original painting SOLD, acrylic on board, 1000mm in diametre, 2018
Explore the story of the artwork >>
Print sizes and editions
- Regular museum archival paper print - 700 x 700mm (limited to 275)
- Large museum archival paper print - Contact us to enquire
- Extra Large museum canvas print - Contact us to enquire
Your unique limited edition fine art print
- Sofia Minson creates your exclusive signed print
- We ship for $25 in NZ and from $50 internationally
- Your artwork arrives rolled, ready to be framed - do you need help? Request framing guidance
The story of Evolution
The purpose of this piece was to be in a playful state rather than design the final picture. This is the kind of attitude that allows for an open mind and new ideas to come in.
In the quiet of her studio Sofia painted over the textured board, completely in black. The black of Te Kore, a state of void in Maori creation myth, which is formless, yet contains unlimited potential for being. Once this was dry she picked up a pot of orange paint, symbolising sunlight, creation and Te Ao Mārama - the world of light or the breath or energy of life. Instinctually she poured the orange paint with swift movements, honouring the playfulness and presentness of being in a pure, creative, meditative process.
Both sister artworks "New Beginning" and "Evolution" express the cyclical nature of our lives, of the cosmos and of our imagination. They celebrate a dynamic unfolding of creative expression out of darkness, out of chaos, out of pure potentiality.
Sofia Minson Paintings | New Zealand Artwork | Te Ao Marama